Re: (g77) internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

On Fri May 25 2007 Jerry DeLisle wrote:
> Roland Winkler wrote:
> > The (shortened) fortran-77 subroutine attached below causes a
> > segmentation fault of g77 when I execute
> >
> > $ g77 -O3 -c -funroll-loops  foo.f
> >
> > No problems occur without optimization.
> >
> > $ g77 --version
> > GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)
> > Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > (I have SUSE Linux 10.2)
> >
> > Let me know if you need to know anything else.
> >
> G77 is no longer maintained. The new fortran compiler is gfortran
> and it supports f77 code. I will test to see if gfortran handles
> your test case.

Thanks for the quick response. -- I am using precompiled libraries
for which I do not have the sources (always very annoying!). That
makes switching compilers more difficult.

> Also, please correspond with the gfortran list on this so we
> fortraners can help you here. There are gfortran binaries
> available. Let me know if you need help with this.

I'll take all this as an incentive to find out to what extent I can
switch to gfortran. Certainly I prefer to use actively maintained
software.

> Also helps to know what hardware platform you are on and what OS
> you are using.

$ uname -a
Linux tfkp07 2.6.18.8-0.1-default #1 SMP Fri Mar 2 13:51:59 UTC 2007
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> I tried your test case with g77, gfortran 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 and it
> compiles fine with the options you specified. I wonder if you have
> an installation problem?
>
> Perhaps try reinstalling g77.

The last time I sent a bug report for g77 was probably 8 or 10 years
ago. It has always served me very well.

> Hmm, I see your g77 is 2002 vintage. I have a 3.4 version. Still,
> I would recommend that you upgrade to a newer compiler, preferably
> gfortran.

I'll try to do that!

Thank you once more,

Roland