different branches sharing an install-prefix

Should it be possible to install different branches/versions of gcc
sharing the same prefix?

Currently I have gcc-4_2-branch and trunk, that are both installed
into the same prefix, but while this "worked" for months, I doesn't
any more since the "_gfortran_string_repeat" function was removed (my
code uses REPEAT). While there are two libraries, libgfortran.2.0.0
and libgfortran.so.3.0.0, there is only one libgfortran.la, pointing
to either one, depending on the order of installation. The workaround
is obviously two use different prefixes, but I wonder whether it
should still be possible to share the prefix?!

[Rationale: there a quite a lot of version/target specific
dierectories that come with each installation, why making such an
effort if it isn't possible to put multiple installations in one
prefix?]

Thanks in advance for enlightment :)

Daniel