Re: [RFC] fseek, an alternative implementation (PR22359)

Brooks Moses wrote:
I think we're probably in full agreement that we should do the simplest possible solution here that isn't fundamentally broken, with the intent that we can close the PR about FSEEK not being implemented, and hopefully never have to worry about this again. :)

My personal feeling -- and this is where I think we disagree -- is that the absence of some way to indicate an error means that the function is a little bit broken (which bothers me, albeit more on an aesthetic than a practical level), and it's a pretty trivial amount of additional complexity to add it. Daniel seems to be willing to include it, so thus I'd say we should let him if he wants to.

On the other hand, if Daniel were to offer an implementation which doesn't have STATUS implemented, I wouldn't object to that either. Mainly I'm just saying that I disagree with saying that he should remove it.

It's definitely not worth spending more time on this :) I take it that you believe that adding a g77-compatible version will not be made harder by this patch, and therefore retract my objection. I looked at the patch, and except for the choice of the right integer kinds, as mentioned in the other replies, it looks sound to me.

Cheers,
- Tobi