Re: 4.2 Backport fix for PR libfortran/31196

On 4/17/07, Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Steve Kargl wrote:

> 2) To address this problem, I briefly described how I think the
>    developement could be improved.  1) Mainline is branched for
>    release X.Y.0.  2) Mainline is closed to all commits while the
>    all effort is directed at getting X.Y.0 released.  If everyone

At this point, with regression fixes going on X.Y branch only and not on
mainline, you end up with regressions in the next release because someone
forgets to apply their patch to mainline when it reopens after X.Y.0 was
released.

Another way to fix this is to branch only after the X.Y.0 release. I believe our early branching and then not releasing is flawed.

Richard.