Re: 4.2 Backport fix for PR libfortran/31196

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
Your response above is just another example of why 4.2 has lingered in a catatonic state.

Ah, there are so many possible responses to this, I can't even make up my mind on which one I'd like to reply with. All so relevant, and all part of a greater philosophy that I don't think can be reduced to a snippet that I'd like to respond with. I'd rather just quote a few links into a FAQ for good, effective open source software development.

I'll respond with just two. One, there are maintainers for the compiler. Regressions should be fixed by those maintainers. If they are unwilling or unable to meet the quality standards that the release manager has set, I'd rather the SC appoint different or additional maintainers.

The other point I'd make, is that I think each contributor should be willing to fix those regressions that they put in. I think regressions should be fixed in a timely fashion.

I think that all open bug reports should be assigned to a maintainer.

Ok, that's three.

So, if you want to blame me, you can blame me for any area I maintain and for any regression I put in. If you want to blame me for regressions I didn't put in, or for an area I am not a maintainer for, well, let just say, I disagree with your assessment.