Re: Fwd: gfortran - pointers to components of derived type arrays

Tobi,

A minor remark: it should be possible to keep the old
gfc_conv_descriptor_stride interface alive during the development (just
have it include the necessary multiplication.  If that allows you to
avoid a wholesale conversion of the code during development, it should
make the whole thing much easier.

If I have understood what you are suggesting, that would introduce an extra multiplication for every dimension*array_ref. I am not sure that I see how that would help. In fact, I am worrying that this is a general problem with scheme (i); expecially for vectors, where stride = 1 is ignored. In anycase, were stride in units of bytes, it would be extracted by the gfc_conv_descriptor_stride interface completely unmodified.

Anyway, what little time I have had in the last 24 hours has been
devoted to assessing the scale of the job and the various wrinkles
involved.  I hope somebody actually uses such pointer/target
combinations!

Thanks

Paul

-- Saint Augustine - "O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet"