Re: Fwd: gfortran - pointers to components of derived type arrays

Paul Richard Thomas wrote:
PRs 29606, 30625 and 29396 are concerned with pointer assignments to
parts of a target array; either components or substrings.  As far as I
am aware, this is the last feature of the F95 standard that we do not
attempt to implement in gfortran.  Possible ways to do this, that I
know of, come in three flavours, in descending order of disruption to
the existing code:

(i) To express the array stride in bytes rather than words;

Ideally I would go for this. It allows pointers to funny array sections to be
represented with little or no runtime overhead.

I expect that whichever option we choose there are going to be unexpected
pitfalls. One advantage of changing the format completely is that you get
much better test coverage because the same code is used for all pointer
variables.

A minor remark: it should be possible to keep the old gfc_conv_descriptor_stride interface alive during the development (just have it include the necessary multiplication. If that allows you to avoid a wholesale conversion of the code during development, it should make the whole thing much easier.

- Tobi