Re: Gfortran does not compile dynamo (and others)

> Hi all,
>
> Ignacio Fernández Galván wrote:
> > By the way, I also could not compile the quantum chemistry programs
> > Gaussian 98 and Molcas 6.4, but since these are commercial programs, I
> > cannot provide the source. Has anyone been able to compile them?
> >
> > Actually, the compiliation seems to go fine (after some changes in code
> > and building scripts), but when running the program, Molcas stops with
> > "signal 11"
> I did some debugging and the reason is that Molcas sets by default the
> option
>    -malign-double
> on i386 systems.
>
> And of cause this clashes with libgfortran. The crash occurs with an
> internal write statement.
>
> I think we really need a big WARNING somewhere.

There is already a HUGE WARNING in GCC's documentation:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

Warning: if you use the -malign-double switch, structures containing the above types will be aligned differently than the published application binary interface specifications for the 386 and will not be binary compatible with structures in code compiled without that switch.

If people don't read the documentation, then they should not be complaining.

-- Pinski