PR libfortran/29568 (subrecord patch)

:ADDPATCH fortran:

Hello world,

after quite some time, here it is:  The gfortran subrecord patch
(aka implementing the Intel format for unformatted files).  This was
regression-tested on i686-pc-linux-gnu.  A slightly earlier version
(which was missing some casts) was extensively tested on 64-bit
Linux and FreeBSD by Jerry DeLisle (thanks a lot, Jerry!)

I introduced a new flag with this patch to specify a smaller
maximum length of subrecords.  This enables automatic
regression-testing of the subrecod feature, which I think is
important.  It is very easy to break something in this
area of the library, and not having a regression-test at all
would be bad.

With this patch, we're having a flag day:  Unformatted sequential
files written with default options in eariler versions of gfortran
(including 4.1) will not be readable with default options.
The minutes from the IRC planning meeting showed that this was
preferred way over being incompatible with just about anybody
else (and I agree, or I wouldn't have written the patch :-)  We
should update the wiki accordingly, and make an announcement on
comp.lang.fortran.

Still missing:  a description of the subrecord format.

I propose to apply this to 4.3, wait for some time (more than
the customary week) for any problems to appear, and then backport
to 4.2.

OK?

	Thomas

2006-11-30  Thomas Koenig  <Thomas.Koenig@online.de>

	PR libfortran/29568
	* gfortran.dg/convert_implied_open.f90:  Change to
	new default record length.
	* gfortran.dg/unf_short_record_1.f90:  Adapt to
	new error message.
	* gfortran.dg/unformatted_subrecords_1.f90:  New test.

2006-11-30  Thomas Koenig  <Thomas.Koenig@online.de>

	PR libfortran/29568
	* gfortran.h (gfc_option_t):  Add max_subrecord_length.
	(top level): Define MAX_SUBRECORD_LENGTH.
	* lang.opt:  Add option -fmax-subrecord-length=.
	* trans-decl.c:  Add new function set_max_subrecord_length.
	(gfc_generate_function_code): If we are within the main
	program and max_subrecord_length has been set, call
	set_max_subrecord_length.
	* options.c (gfc_handle_option):  Add handling for
	-fmax_subrecord_length.
	* invoke.texi:  Document the new default for
	-frecord-marker=<n>.

2006-11-30  Thomas Koenig  <Thomas.Koenig@online.de>

	PR libfortran/29568
	* libgfortran/libgfortran.h (compile_options_t):  Add
	record_marker. (top level):  Define GFC_MAX_SUBRECORD_LENGTH.
	* runtime/compile_options.c (set_record_marker):  Change
	default to four-byte record marker.
	(set_max_subrecord_length):  New function.
	* runtime/error.c (translate_error):  Change error message
	for short record on unformatted read.
	* io/io.h (gfc_unit):  Add recl_subrecord, bytes_left_subrecord
	and continued.
	* io/file_pos.c (unformatted_backspace):  Change default of record
	marker size to four bytes.  Loop over subrecords.
	* io/open.c:  Default recl is max_offset.  If
	compile_options.max_subrecord_length has been set, set set
	u->recl_subrecord to its value, to the maximum value otherwise.
	* io/transfer.c (top level):  Add prototypes for us_read, us_write,
	next_record_r_unf and next_record_w_unf.
	(read_block_direct):  Separate codepaths for unformatted direct
	and unformatted sequential.  If a recl has been set by the
	user, use the number of bytes left for the record if it is smaller
	than the read request.  Loop over subrecords.  Set an error if the
	user has set a recl and the read was short.
	(write_buf):  Separate codepaths for unformatted direct and
	unformatted sequential. If a recl has been set by the
	user, use the number of bytes left for the record if it is smaller
	than the read request.  Loop over subrecords.  Set an error if the
	user has set a recl and the read was short.
	(us_read):  Add parameter continued (to indicate that bytes_left
	should not be intialized).  Change default of record marker size
	to four bytes. Use subrecord.  If the subrecord length is smaller than
	zero, this indicates a continuation.
	(us_write):  Add parameter continued (to indicate that the continued
	flag should be set).  Use subrecord.
	(pre_position):  Use 0 for continued on us_write and us_read calls.
	(skip_record):  New function.
	(next_record_r_unf):  New function.
	(next_record_r):  Use next_record_r_unf.
	(write_us_marker):  Default size for record markers is four bytes.
	(next_record_w_unf):  New function.
	(next_record_w):  Use next_record_w_unf.