RE: How to create both -option-name-* and -option-name=* options?

On 10 November 2006 07:34, Brooks Moses wrote:

> The Fortran front end currently has a lang.opt entry of the following form:
>
>    ffixed-line-length-
>    Fortran RejectNegative Joined UInteger
>
> I would like to add to this the following option which differs in the
> last character, but should be treated identically:
>
>    ffixed-line-length=
>    Fortran RejectNegative Joined UInteger

>    In file included from tm.h:7,
>                     from ../../svn-source/gcc/genconstants.c:32:
>    options.h:659: error: redefinition of `OPT_ffixed_line_length_'
>    options.h:657: error: `OPT_ffixed_line_length_' previously defined
>      here
>
> This is because both the '=' and the '-' in the option name reduce to a
> '_' in the enumeration name, which of course causes the enumerator to
> get defined twice -- and that's a problem, even though I'm quite happy
> for the options to both be treated identically.
>
> There's not really any good way around this problem, is there?

  It may seem a bit radical, but is there any reason not to modify the
option-parsing machinery so that either '-' or '=' are treated interchangeably
for /all/ options with joined arguments?  That is, whichever is specified in
the .opt file, the parser accepts either?

    cheers,
      DaveK