Re: gfortran error format (was: Re: Emacs and GFortran)

[removing the emacs-devel list as it's not so emacs-related any more]

A purposed patch that makes gfortran follow the GCS is already
purposed and submitted, two version of it one backward compatible (g77
style) and one that is not exist.

I take it you refer to patch at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2006-11/msg00017.html and http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2006-10/msg00825.html

Both probably need fixing the testsuite framework, because when
applied they generate lots of failures right now. The right place is
gcc/testsuite/lib/gfortran-dg.exp, line 107; the regexp needs to be
changed.

Speaking of the patches themselves, the first one gives:

-------------------------------------
error.inc:1:

In file error.inc:1

Included at error.f90:2

  integer i
          1
error.f90:3:

In file error.f90:3

  call i(j)
          2
Error: 'i' at (1) has a type, which is not consistent with the CALL at (2)
-------------------------------------

which makes things hard to read in my opinion. The second one is
probably better.

I've added a link to your patches in the PR.

I do not wish to spend any more on this

Neither do I. I'm trying to be efficient here.

I think it is clear what should be done

I also think it's clear what should be done, but I have other things to do. I guess it's what other people here have said also. We're a small team handling large tasks.

what is requested is a trivial change but people being stubborn and
making up excuses.

The only excuse you'll be hearing is: low-priority. Which is, unfortunately, true. I wish we had nothing higher-profile than diagnostic bugs for which a workaround is trivial.

FX