-------------------------------------
$ cat hello.F
      program hello
      implicit none
      write(*,) 'Hello!'
      end

$ g77 hello.F
hello.F: In program `hello':
hello.F:3:                                           (<==)
         write(*,) 'Hello!'
                 ^
Expression at (^) has incorrect data type or rank for its context

$ gfortran hello.F
 In file hello.F:3

      write(*,) 'Hello!'
             1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)

The only difference between G77 anf GFortran seems the line (<==).

Why is it so hard for GFortran add that line?

Cheers,

  Angelo.