Re: etime

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 12:39:08PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    Could someone point me to where the removal of etime was
> discussed on the mailing list? I do recall seeing that a
> patch was checked in to remove it before the sover was bumped
> on libgfortran but I don't recall the reasons for removing it
> being mentioned. More importantly is there a discussion of the
> recommended approach for replacing etime calls in legacy g77
> code?

Your recollection is slightly wrong.

2006-07-15  Steven G. Kargl  <kargls@comcast.net>

        * intrinsics/etime.c: Remove etime_
        * libtool-version: Bump from libgfortran.so.1 to libgfortran.so.2

Note, the library bump was long over due because of earlier
changes to the library.

As Janne explained etime() is still available.  The problem is
that etime() is considered to be an intrinsic procedure, and
many program have an "external etime" statement.  This statement
is telling gfortran that the user is supplying an etime() routine,
so the frontend won't mangle the symbol to _gfortran_etime.

--
Steve