Re: iostat

On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:

IOSTAT is a value.  That value needs IMNSHO to be unique across
all OS's.

I guess I don't see why the commonality of that value across operating systems is particularly important. I can see why it might be nice, but it isn't very high on my list of important things - not anywhere near as high as the importance of having the value encode something useful. The value sure is not portable across different compilers, even on the same OS.

Implementing Erik's suggestion would allow those who care to
determine the appropriate message on their own.

I think that that is an ugly solution. Telling a Fortran programmer (who may have no C language experience) to compile and run a C code or look in errno.h to translate a number into a more meaningful message seems worse than just signalling failure.

You are kidding, right? If you are serious, then I guess we just have hugely different value judgments here because I find it hard to disagree more. Although both options are far from ideal, I'd take the hard-to-interpret number over "failed - you guess why" any day. By a lot. At least with the number, the poor user can go ask someone else for help interpreting it. Indeed, I see users asking exactly that quite regularly. With "open failed - you guess why", the user is just plain going to be out of luck. As the poor user, try asking for help with that one somewhere like comp.lang.fortran... and lots of luck, as you would need it.

I have trouble picturing why you would think that it is ok to dispense with giving any information at all, yet it is important to have the same non-information on all operating systems. You and I must have some pretty basic differences in outlook somewhere.

Somewhat reminds me of an HP printer I made the mistake of having our branch buy a few years ago. Apparently someone at HP decided that the printer error messages on the small LED displays of printers in the previous series were too cryptic and confusing to users. So they took the display off. All you have now is a red light that indicates "something is wrong". You can't tell whether there is a paper jam, something wrong with the data sent to the printer, a network communication problem, the printer failing some internal self test, or maybe it just being out of paper. The sysadmin now gets regular calls that turn out to be because the printer is out of paper. HP fixed that horrible mistake in the next series, but we are stuck with the one we bought. At times I've been tempted to "accidentally" drop it down the stairs or something. I *DESPISE* that printer.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
Richard.Maine@nasa.gov       |  experience comes from bad judgment.