Re: OpenMP threadprivate on non-ELF systems

On 8/15/06, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:01:58AM -0700, Asher Langton wrote:
> Attached is a patch-in-progress that implements the OpenMP directive
> in gfortran without relying on ELF Thread Local Storage support.  The
> current implementation only supports systems with TLS, and doesn't
> work on other systems (AIX, Darwin, etc.)

I'd much prefer if we simply implemented a form of TLS on these
systems.  It should be fairly straightforward to provide a generic
implementation based on pthread_getspecific and friends.

I agree that a generic TLS would be better, but I'm not sure that it's straightforward to implement. In particular, since pthread_getspecific only operates on a pointer, I think we'd still need some runtime support to allocate storage for the thread-local data.

-Asher