Re: -frecord-marker

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006, Jerry DeLisle wrote:
> We could put the various record-marker flags into the build_dt so that
> every unit will have its own settings depending on options at compile time.
> Then this would not depend on the settings for the main program.  To mix
> methods within a program, you would have to have separate object files for
> each, compiled with different compile time options.
>
> We have 17 unused bits left in the dt structure without increasing the size
> any. We could set endian-ness, record-marker size, and I suppose record
>  marker scheme
> at compile time and test bits at run time. That would take 3 bits, 0 for
> default, 1 for special.
>
> We could do this without touching OPEN syntax.  It would be left to the
> user to sort out the options when compiling.  And then I suppose some
> non-standard intrinsics could show up later to set bits on the fly, but
> thats another story, and would be very gnuish. (It  could also be
> troublesome if not thought through carefully.  You wouldn't want a file
> half 32 bit markers, half 64, and part intel)
>
> I think there may be a middle ground approach on this. (or am I being to
> easy?)

That sounds like an excellent suggestion.

I'll stay out of the discussion from now on. I'm sure I've annoyed plenty
of people already and if I haven't managed to put my point across by now
then I never will.

Thanks to everyone on their excellent work. gfortran is shaping up to be
a really great compiler. I can already use it on a number of projects which
I had long ago given up hope of ever compiling with open source tools.

Keith.