Re: -frecord-marker

Keith Bennett wrote:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006, Jerry DeLisle wrote:
I have long been amazed at this projects willingness to break compatibility
with every other Fortran compiler out there. And that includes g77 which
this project is meant to be replacing. I'm well aware that you're never
going to be fully compatible with everyone else but you can at least *try*.
All the other compilers do.

We are trying, within the bounds of the standards. This whole issue becomes NULL as soon as I finish STREAM I/O. I have a preliminary functional patch working. It has more testing to go and I need to finish up some checking and inquire pieces.

I don't know anything about STREAM I/O so I'll just have to take your word for it that this is the best solution. Glad to hear that it is being worked on.

STREAM I/O is added in the F2003 Fortran Standard and essentially allows binary (byte level) read and write access to files. If you want to read 7 bytes starting at file position 42, you can do it. If you want to write 354 starting at position 18, you can do it. If you want to just keep writing or reading contiguous bytes as a continuous stream of data, you can do it, formatted or unformatted. It is very powerful and very flexible. You can even read/write dbase III file formats.

Regards,

Jerry