Re: -frecord-marker

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> > The syntax goes like this (the idea being that RECM has some
> > conceptual relationship to RECL):
> > OPEN( ..., RECM='4' )
>
> Hmm... for orthogonality with the option name, it might be
> better to use RECORD_MARKER=''

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I have some concerns about this
approach. It's no good for any of the codes which I work on since it
destroys compatibility with other Fortran compilers. This will be true
for pretty much everyone that writes Fortran on a professional basis.

My main concern is that this adds yet another way of specifying
record markers which will need to be removed when the intel method
is implemented. I can already hear the cries of all those saying
that we can't remove it because that would break backwards compatibility.

I don't mind the feature being added, as long as it can be removed just
as easily.

Keith.