Re: Parsing Fortran

On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Joe Krahn wrote:

In general, my plan is to use YACC for lexing characters into context-independent generic expressions...
Using YACC this way, errors only occur when there really is uninterpretable gibberish. For example, if a triplet-spec is seen where it is invalid, it still be recognized as a triplet-spec, instead of just seeing ':' as an unexpected character.

But triplet-spec is not context independent, so I don't see how this is going to work. There are things that can look just like a triplet- spec and are distinguished only by context.

For example, a substring-spec (or whatever they are called - not worth looking up) looks like a special case of a triplet-spec. So can some cases of a dimension.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
Richard.Maine@nasa.gov       |  experience comes from bad judgment.