Re: setting up gfortran

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Warren Turkal wrote:

> On Friday 02 June 2006 12:19, John Appleyard wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up gfortran on our benchmark machines, so that we can
> > include it in the benchmarks published on out site.  One is running SuSE
> > 9.3, and the other has SLES 9.  The gcc versions are and 3.3.5 and 3.3.3.
>
> That would be good.
>
> *snip*
>
> > Can anyone give us a nice foolproof prescription?  Both machines have 7
> > or 8 other compilers on, and I'd rather have something self-contained
> > that doesn't interfere with other compilers.
>
> Have you tried bootstrapping from a 4.1 source tarball? I am no expert, but I
> believe:
> ./configure <whatever params you want like maybe --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.1>
> make bootstrap
>
> I don't know if this would work for you or not.

  I have done the above on both SUSE 10.0 and FC 4. To be a bit more
  precise,

      download to source int someplace ( /scrdir ) and put the tar file
      into it.

      make a scratch directory; /temp_dir

      make a directory for the compiler; /comp_dir

      cd /temp_dir

      tar -zxf gcc-4.1.x (x is either 0 or 1 depending on which you
                          downloaded)

      cd /temp_dir

      /srcdir/gcc-4.1.x/configure --prefix=/comp_dir

      make

      make install

  As I said this works for the two machines mentioned above, but
  fails for a MacMini (power pc running OSX 10.4) and also for
  windows. My guess is that it should work on the SUSE machine.
  If /comp_dir is a network filesystem, then the same compiler
  should be available on both machines.

  Good luck,

  Ray