Re: question about fortran on the new intel Mac

On Apr 7, 2006, at 09:31:03, Paul Thomas wrote:

Peter

I have cc'd your question to the fortran list; I am afraid that the mysteries of the old Macs were already beyond me and I know nothing about the new ones.
Dear Paul,

I have come across your postings on the GCC fortran page and I was wondering if you could comment on the availability of a fortran compiler that runs on the new intel-based Apple Macbook machines. I have the impression from the pages that there is a version that is available and is running, with some problems. Is this indeed the case, and if so, where would I be able to access this version? I need to run fortran codes and therefore need to decide whether to get one of these new Apple machines, or whether to try to get the previous Motorola-based model.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter Martinez

Can anybody help Peter, please?

I have gfortran working, starting from the SVN version and applying some patches. It's not clean, and I hope that the official version will work in a few days/weeks. There are two or three small problems, solutions for these are known and patches exist, but they have somehow not yet been officially applied. This version is available from gcc.gnu.org, following the usual instructions about accessing the SVN repository. You will have to build and install the compiler yourself, which requires a C compiler, but is otherwise not too complicated.

Intel offers C, C++, and Fortran compilers for Intel-based Macs. These are currently evaluation versions. You access them from www.intel.com, go to the download center, then choose "Software Products". They offer free evaluations licenses for one month.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>