Re: Runtime error messages

Thomas Koenig wrote:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:09:17PM -0800, Jerry DeLisle wrote:

I would like to suggest that we add a runtime error type ERROR_INTERNAL to replace some of the places where we are now using ERROR_OS in the library.

ERROR_OS would be useful if we get an actual OS error like when reading or writing a file. But for internal units, we are just reading and writing from memory. It is unlikely we will get an error here unless we invoke the call incorrectly.

I would like to have the error message say "Internal error!" rather than "Success" in these cases. It really throws people off.

Any one agree?

Is this for errors on internal files, or library internal errors (where
we mess up somewhere in the library)?  Both would make sense, depending
on the situation, but I would like to differentiate between them.

ERROR_INTERNAL and ERROR_INTERNALFILES would be good, I think.

Thomas

Yes, I like this idea of the two. I would prefer ERROR_INTERNALUNIT for the latter one.

If OK I will implement, just give me the go-ahead.

Jerry