Re: [RFC] Generalizing the library to arbitrary floating-point modes

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:36:23PM +0100, François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
> The sin() function is a generic name, and it is up to the fortran compiler
> to compile it into a call to, for example, the libm sinl() function. But how
> does the front-end know that real(kind=10) corresponds to the l-suffixed
> math functions, and not (as is the case on ia64-hpux, where it corresponds
> to sinw) to something else. Currently, this is hardcoded, but that's just a
> short-term hack around the real problem.

It isn't a short-term hack.  The Fortran front end has access to the
exact same backend configuration macro that the C front end uses to
select types.  So it really does know with absolute certainty what
kind "long double" corresponds to.

> There is other information that the front-end would need, that it currently
> doesn't. For example, for some I/O function calls, we need the ability to
> create function calls with off_t arguments.

Also solvable.

r~