gfortran and HIRLAM, success !

L.S.,

On Sunday I mentioned I had compiled HIRLAM (http://hirlam.knmi.nl)
successfully.

However, the default grid of this limited area weather forecasting
model is a bit too large to run on a work station.

Today I tried a more reasonable grid, one close to the one we used
up to the 5th of March 2002, when we went to an 0.2 degree grid
in the horizontal.

The grid used up to 2005-03-05 at KNMI is about 1.5 times the grid
I used for this trial run.

I get for the most demanding jobs (see my earlier mail of Sunday):

3. Data assimilation (finding the best average between observations
   and previous "first guess"): 22 minutes.

5. Actual weather forecast: 30 minutes.

This is remarkable, as common wisdom in our community has it that
data assimilation takes about the same time as a 6 hour forecast
- however, in our case it would be more like a 36 hour forecast.

Something to be investigated.

More results forthcoming ...

Cheers,

--