Re: flush geterg and iargc question

On Nov 7, 2005, at 7:26 AM, Benjamin Réveillé wrote:

I knew these where extensions but I didn't think I'd get a warning
when using the -std that supports them.

I'm slightly puzzled, either by your expectations, or perhaps just the way they are expressed; I'm not entirely sure which.

There is *NO* version of the standard that supports iargc or the flush subroutine. From the way you wrote the above, I get the impression that you think thay they are supported in some version of the standard. Therefore when you ask for standard-conformance checking, you'll get messages about them. That's the whole point of asking for standard-conformance checking. If you don't want messages for such things, then don't ask for that. If you want some of the other messages you get, but you don't want these in particular, then that would be asking for the ability to customize your own list of things checked for. While that would be a nice feature, it isn't one that gfortran has (nor do most compilers, though sometimes there are switches for particularly common cases).

The functionality of iargc and flush are in f2003, but not "spelled" those ways. As you apparently know, the standard form of iargc in f2003 is system_argument_count. While I understand your concern that the f2003 form isn't yet supported by all compilers, that concern doesn't change the fact that iargc is nonstandard, so you'll get complaints about it if you ask for standard-conformance checking (any version). You might, by the way, want to check into Lawson Wakefield's fkcli at <www.winteracter.com/f2kcli>. The functionality of flush is in f2003, but it is a statement instead of a subroutine.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
Richard.Maine@nasa.gov       |  experience comes from bad judgment.