Re: F77 code under gcc

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:57:45AM -0500, Alex Tzanov wrote:

> I am redirected my question to you following the advise by gcc developer.
>
> >From your site:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html#4.0.2
>
> Fortran
>
>     * A new Fortran front end has replaced the aging GNU Fortran
> 77 front end. The new front end supports Fortran 90 and Fortran 95.
> It may not yet be as stable as the old Fortran front end.
>
> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all?

Fortran 77 is a proper subset of Fortran 90.  So, if you have
standard conforming Fortran 77 gfortran will compile the code.
If your code could be compiled by g77, it can probably be
compiled with gfortran (unless you use some of g77's extension
that are yet to be implemented).

> Or there are options for F77 dialect?

gfortran some.f             <- You probably want this one.
gfortran -std=f77 some.f    <- You could try this, but it is fairly strict.
gfortran -std=f95 some.f90  <- You probably want to move to using Fortran 95.

> Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.
>
> > > I have recently upgraded my PC to Suse Linux 10 (from 9.3). The
> > > distribution  comes with gcc 4.0.2.

% find /usr -name gfortran
% find /use -name f951

If these commands find no files, then complain to Novell.

--
Steve