Re: Regarding the "TheOtherGCCBasedFortranCompiler" Wiki Page.

Tobias Schlüter wrote:
Brooks Moses wrote:
I would probably add, for purposes of that page: "Since that time, the two compilers have diverged significantly," and leave it at that.

Yes that makes sense. The fork mail is rather polite in that saying "Andy took away our CVS write access" leaves out several details :-)

I'd gathered, yes. :)

As far as the discussion of GPL legalities (which should really be taken to
misc.gnu.discuss, so I won't go into depth), there are at least two
well-documented cases where linking software to GPLed code resulted in it
being GPLed in the end (by out of court settlements) 1. Next's Objective C
frontend, which is now part of GCC and 2. the FSF doesn't name the specific
software, but they say that some program that was linked against the readline
library (which is GPL) was GPL'd after the FSF found out (this is in the 'why
the LGPL is not preferable' page linked off somewhere on their license list).

Indeed. I think I was somewhat unclear -- what I was trying to make was a distinction between "your code may become free software without your consent" and "you may find yourself in a position where you'd prefer to choose to make your code free software rather than paying court-imposed damages and disentangling it from the GPL-licensed things that it's based on." And, as you point out, a number of companies have found themselves in such a position and made out-of-court settlements.

(I'd take this to misc.gnu.discuss, but I think I'd rather not spend that much time on it, if that's ok with you.)

 Of course this is moot, because if the FSF were asked they would certainly
relicense g95's library under the GPL + exception license that other GNU
compilers use, it just shows how little Andy cares about licenses.  (BTW is he
still using that multiple precision library without the required
acknowledgement?  I see he says he rewrote something related to internal
arithmetic, so this might not be the case anymore.)

I have no idea at all on the latter point.

- Brooks