Re: Vectorizing HIRLAM NN.

	Erg interessant, als dit werkt. Gaat het KNMI ook daadwerkelijk
	gfortran gebruiken of zijn we nog lang niet ver genoeg daarvoor?

I believe most people do understand these sentences now that FX has
kindly provided a translation ....

The importance of gfortran as the HIRLAM consortium is conserned
(http://hirlam.knmi.nl) is not that we would use it in an operational
setting (i.e., compiling the operational suite with it - we normally
use the vendor supplied compiler for that).

However, what gfortran enables is HIRLAM research by everyone who
can install a GNU/Linux or other free software distribution.

One of the things people keep forgetting is that there are still
Universities in Europe (or Asia, or Africa) for which the license
cost of proprietary Fortran compilers is prohibitive.

This translates directly into fewer capable meteorological researchers
working on HIRLAM.

HIRLAM is not free software - but other Weather Prediction Systems are.
Look at http://www.wrf-model.org, for instance.  My younger brother
(working at Wageningen University in the Meteorology department) already
filed a bug report for gfortran based on his experiments compiling
that code.

There will be more examples.  Build it, and they will come ...

Kind regards,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/