Re: Meissner examples - the last one to fall

Tobi,

Even with Paul's latest patch there are a huge number of accepts-invalid (or
ice-on-invalid) bugs, so I don't believe "production quality" is not yet true.
"Much better than 4.0" is definitely true.

I would agree with that: - In starting on the accepts-invalid and the ice-on-invalids, I have found that there is a lot lurking there that is not very nice. I have held back a few more patches that deal with a further eight such PRs until the equivalence constraints were out of the way.

What is impressing me is what gfortran will do with correct code. I have just spent the day adding an interface to the fusion community's common data interface, MDSplus (find it with Google). With a bit of work, I was able to read data from General Atomic's DIIID database and that of the Joint European Torus. I have also compiled and run a free boundary equilibrium code, Proteus, and a neoclassical transport code NCLASS. I see from the octave lists that gfortran has been used to build octave. These things were definitely not feasible, even a few months back. I think that all the contributors have a lot to be proud of. Many have contributed many small but significant improvements over the last year and Richard Sandiford injected a quantum leap or two with his recent patches.

Has anybody taken the time to put together a collection of all the examples of the outstanding PRs? I have noticed that more than a few are getting fixed un-noticed.

How long do we have before 4.2? I have been of the opinion for a little while that we should assemble a priority list, divide the work on the more serious and try to work towards the "production quality" gfortran.

Well done everyone!

Paul T