Re: Make Francois-Xavier Coudert, Thomas Koenig and Paul Thomas Reviewers?

Paul,

Sorry about the delay in replying - yesterday, we had a huge fire in the forest behind our house, which resulted in our being evacuated overnight. There is still firefighting going on and I have just had to give the firemen access across our land to connect to our irrigation water supply.

I had an exchange with Steven about this. He voiced the opinion that the number of reviewers would become excessive and that this would reduce the confidence that other gcc maintainers have in gfortran; or in the control of the reviewing process. I can see what he means but cannot see another way around progressing the work on gfortran when its reviewers are so pressed for time. We should strive, therefore, to make sure that the reviewing is completely open. In the course of our discussion, Steven opened my eyes to the existence of the patch queue. I honestly had no idea of its existence. We must also make sure that it is used by all the contributors and the reviewers.

Paul Brook wrote:

I propose that Francois-Xavier Coudert, Thomas Koenig (if he is willing
- I have not discussed it with him) and I be made reviewers. We are all
sensible enough that we can defer on contributions that are outside our
experience or competence. In addition, since the reviewing process is
entirely open, there is really little prospect of disaster.

Ok. Please update the webpages/docs to reflect this.

Francois-Xavier; the pompier-sapeurs are back again - could you take care of this, please?

Perhaps, it would be a good idea, whilst we still have provisional licences, that 24
hours elapse before our giving a green light on the list and the
contributor committing, so that those with more experience can keep an
eye on what we are doing?

I don't think there's any need to formalise this. If you think this is appropriate, just say so in your review mail. As always if you're unsure about something, say so and either don't approve the patch, or make approval conditional on someone else agreeing that the change is OK.

OK

Patch approvals should be driven by what you feel confident reviewing, not how important the bugfix/feature it.

Agreed.

Paul T