Re: no joy with 20050723 gcc-4.1 snapshot

Having a better idea of what to look for, I think I have found the culprit.
>From the 20050709 snapshot up to the latest one 20050723, there is a new file
gcc/config/rs6000/darwin8.h:

/* Target definitions for Darwin 8.0 and above (Mac OS X) systems.
   Copyright (C) 2004, 2005
   Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This file is part of GCC.

GCC is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
any later version.

GCC is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

along with GCC; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
the Free Software Foundation, 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.  */

/* Machine dependent libraries.  Include libmx when compiling on
   Darwin 7.0 and above, but before libSystem, since the functions are
   actually in libSystem but for 7.x compatibility we want them to be
   looked for in libmx first---but only do this if 7.x compatibility
   is a concern, which it's not in 64-bit mode.  Include
   libSystemStubs when compiling on (not necessarily for) 8.0 and
   above and not 64-bit long double.  */

#undef  LIB_SPEC
#define LIB_SPEC "%{!static:\
  %{!mlong-double-64:%{pg:-lSystemStubs_profile;:-lSystemStubs}} \
  %{!m64:%:version-compare(>< 10.3 10.4 mmacosx-version-min= -lmx)} -lSystem}"

Apparently the switch is required for MacOS X 10.4.*, but produces the
warnings for 10.3.*.

I understand very little of the comment and none of the code. ChangeLog-2005
has the following entry

2005-03-02  Geoffrey Keating  <geoffk@apple.com>

        * varasm.c (named_section): Use xstrdup rather than doing it by
        hand.

        * config/darwin8.h (LIB_SPEC): Switch -lmx and -lSystem.

If I have no comment, I'll do a build tonight after removing the 10.3
reference to check if this is the problem.

Cheers

Dominique