Re: gfortran documentation

Steve Kargl wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:10:19PM -0500, Justin Thomas wrote:
I am a big fan of the GNU project and would really like to use
gfortran for Fortran development work on my 64-bit AMD Opteron machine
running Red Hat Linux.  I cannot find any documentation on your
website at all, not even so much as a man page or a "Get Started"
guide.

You could not have looked too hard for documentation. The menu on the left at gcc.gnu.org has a "Documentation" section. In that section you will find a link named "Manual", which leads to

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

I'm going to have to debate that "could not have looked too hard" comment, Steve. I was just looking at the gfortran home page (which is, as far as I can tell, officially at gcc.gnu.org/fortran), and it doesn't have any links to documentation at all, nor any indication that any gfortran documentation can be found by going to the main gcc.gnu.org page.

Thus, it would be very easy to conclude, from looking at that page, that there was no documentation to be easily had.

I think this should be corrected, probably by a "Documentation" section after the "Binaries" section.

For that matter, there should probably also be a "Source" section, if only to say "As gfortran is part of gcc, one must obtain the gcc source from http://xyz";.

- Brooks

(I'm cc'ing this to the main gcc list, as that's apparently the place to send comments on the web pages.)