Re: [RFC, fortran] Output contained namespaces in module (PR fortran/16861)

David Edelsohn wrote:

Paul Thomas writes:

Paul> To my enormous surprise, I find that my patch for pr16940 ( Paul> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2005-07/msg00004.html ) fixes pr16861 Paul> too. I was so surprised that I have rebuilt gcc with and without the Paul> patch, just to make sure. This convinces me of the suspicion that Paul> read_module is the place to be stalking this one.

Are you referring to your patch alone or your patch on top of my
patches?

My patch alone.

Your patch alone definitely does not fix the example in comment #14. Either the example in comment #14 is not legal code or the complete solution requires changing both read_module and write_module.

It is legal and, you are quite right, my patch does not fix it. I will repair and think about this tomorrow. It is a different bug, I believe. You are right that write_module does need some repairs. pr19669 is, I think, hitting the same problem as comment 14.

The example requires that J1 be exported in module MOD2 and the current implementation of write_module in gfortran does not emit that symbol.

I agree.

We are going to get these darned bugs. It's good to have somebody else working on it.

Best regards

Paul T