pointer pairing and gfortran

gfortran developers,

I am trying to compile a chunk of legacy code using gfortran on OS X. It is rejecting a pointer pairing statement that exists in an include file used for most subroutines. Essentially it looks like this

program test
integer ikeys
pointer (pikeys,ikeys)
end

IBM and Absoft compile the code without any problem. I have never seen this statement before although I have used modern Fortran 90 pointers. Will pointer pairing be supported by gfortran and/or is there an easy workaround using supported syntax.

Thanks for any Help

-Geoff