Solaris build of gfortran (gcc 4.0.0)

Hi!

I'm trying to find more information about the fortran specific parts of the gcc 4.0.0 build, but I honestly don't know where to look!

I'm having the problem that my gcc build hangs at the point where it tries to run 'configure' in the libgfortran directory. It gets to the "Check if we are using GNU fortran..." line and just hangs. Forever! A 'ps' check shows it running 'gfortran' which runs 'f951', but it never finishes and never returns. A 'truss' shows that 'f951' calls 'waitid' and sleeps forever.

I'm having the same exact problem on Solaris 8, 9 and 10. I'm doing a pretty much standard configuration, "--disable-shared --disable-nls --enable-threads=posix", using the Solaris versions of 'ld' and 'as'. It's the same configuration I've used successfully for years with older gcc's and g77's.

I've done all sorts of searches on the Web to see if anyone else has this problem, but I've found nothing so far! I've also looked through all of the gcc documentation I can find, but I've been unable to find ANYTHING that relates to my problem or that gives me clues on whether I'm configuring incorrectly.

I would *really* appreciate any help you might give me as to where to look or other resources I could try.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,

George Karas

P.S. I've also looked in the documentation to find any references to the the gmp/mpfr libraries I should be using, but I haven't found anything. I have the latest version, 4.1.4, of GMP installed on all of my systems.