[Fwd: Re: [Bug libfortran/19303] Unformatted record header is 4-byteson 32-bit targets]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Bug libfortran/19303] Unformatted record header is 4-bytes on 32-bit targets
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:03:54 -0400
From: Emil Block <blime@cox.net>
To: gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org

I second the "thanks a million", and also don't think g77 belongs in the option name.

I have been using a very fast sort program for large files written in C++ (not by me) , and compiled with gcc-3.3.2 (c++) which produces a binary file that is read using Fortran code compiled with g77, and have not experienced any problems. I was testing this very large simulation using gcc-4.0 (c++) and g95 when I ran into the problem -- the binary file created
with gcc-4.0 (c++) could not be read by g95 compiled code -- incompatible record markers
(32 bit vice 64 bit).

blime

milan at cmm dot ki dot si wrote:

------- Additional Comments From milan at cmm dot ki dot si  2005-05-31 08:41 -------
Great work! Thanks a million!

Somehow I also have a problem with the name of the option, since g77 has exactly
the same problem. When I compile with the g77 I get 8 byte headers on AMD64, so
the name g77 doesn't really correspond to always get 4 byte headers. But this is
very minor thing especially if it is documented how it works, the name shouldn't
really matter.