Integer types used in libgfortran

I've recently been thinking again about PR 21647 and all the PR
related to -fdefault-integer-8. Lots of library function calls use
GFC_INTEGER_4 arguments (or GFC_INTEGER_4 fields in structures) and
the'yre not happy when being given GFC_INTEGER_8 arguments.

If I understand correctly, one way to solve this would be to switch
the entire library to using GFC_INTEGER_8, but then the same problem
could happen with codes using larger kinds of integer. So, my question
is the following: how could we define a new GFC_INTEGER_LARGER type as
the larger integer type available on a given architecture, and is
there any objection to use such a scheme in most of the library
functions calls?