Default Real and Integer Length

Dear gfortran contributors

We have been developping an image processing software for radio interferometry over the last 20 or so years, most of it in Fortran. The package has been successfully ported to a wide variety of computers (from VAX to PCs and Macs, including 64-bits Alpha machines and more) and compilers (initially Fortran VAX, then HP, IBM xlf, g77, Lahey-Fujitsu lf95, Intel ifort, etc...),
as well as operating systems (VMS, Unix, Linux, Windows, Mac-OS) over the years. We had to abandon supporting a g77 version about two years ago because our applications needed Fortran-90 features, and manpower was scarce.

We are currently facing a direct difficulty when compiling our code to "gfortran" under 64 bits machines (AMD Opteron or
Intel EMT64). This difficulty is due do the lack of
-f-default-integer-4
-f-default-real-4
or similar option which would allow unspecified integers / reals to be considered as 32 bit quantities.

Is there any intention to implement such a capability in future releases of "gfortran"? This would greatly help porting 32-bit applications to the now available 64 bits machines.

Best regards

Stephane Guilloteau

cc: Dr.J.Pety, manager of the GILDAS software

Dr. Stephane GUILLOTEAU L3AB, Observatoire de Bordeaux 2 rue de l'Observatoire F-33270 FLOIRAC, France

Tel: (33) 557 77 61 68
Mobile (33) 683 84 66 70
E-Mail: guilloteau@obs.u-bordeaux1.fr