Optimizations

Hi,
I am interested in fortran90/95.
So far I have always been using Microsoft visual studio, but I am now
getting into the open source world. I am toying around with the gfortran
and testing some old .f90 files of mine.
I am a bit puzzled as I did not find any optimization options (Did I
overlook something?).
Therefore I am a bit concerned about the performances of the programs I
may compile with gfortran.
Second, I have never used the Lapack routines, but can they be used
without troubles/conflicts with the gfortran compiler?
Thanks for your cooperation
Lorenzo