Build of gcc-4.1

I have been trying to build gfortran, using mingw. With help from Francois-Xavier Coudert and much consumption of midnight oil(strange problems with the makefile associated with the check of m4 in the build of gmp/mpfr), I have got as far as libgfortran and there the build fails because gcc does not produce executables. gfortran and xgcc both produce code and object files. The libgfortran build and the loading of programs compiled with xgcc fail for the lack of crt2.o. This latter is found in /mingw. None of the things that are obvious, to me at least, seem to resolve the loader's problem in finding it. Any ideas any one?

Paul T