Re: gfortran.org

- google has already updated its copy of gfortran.org, maybe one of you still
has it in their browser caches, please look there before you fire up your
browser to see what gfortran.org looks like now

Attached is what I could get from cache (mainly pages for binaries download).

FX
Windows users can have a free compiler!

A gfortran package for Windows is available as zip archive at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-windows.zip . This
is a standalone package, which means you don't need anything else to
compile and run Fortran programs.

Installation instructions

After downloading the zip archive, expand it into the directory of your
choice (we will call that d:\gfortran). The compiler is then
d:\gfortran\bin\gfortran.exe, which you can run by entering its complete
path. To avoid lots of typing, you can add the d:\gfortran\bin directory
to your PATH environment variable, and then run gfortran simply by typing
gfortran.

Technical details

This package is built with MinGW/MSYS, and contains a minimal set of
MinGW files to be standalone. If you have MinGW already installed on your
system, then you might want to expand the gfortran package in the same
tree.

gfortran package for 64 bits AMD-compatible processors

This is a daily binary package of gfortran for x86_64 linux users. It
defaults to 32 bits integers, which is compatible with older programs.

You can download the package at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
and expand it. Static linking is advised since you won't have to set up
any environment variable.

    * Directions using csh or tcsh:

 mkdir gfortran_temp
 cd gfortran_temp
 wget -O -
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
| tar xfz -
 alias gfc $PWD/irun/bin/gfortran -static -Wall
 gfc --version

    * Directions using bash, zsh or ksh:

 mkdir gfortran_temp
 cd gfortran_temp
 wget -O -
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
| tar xfz -
 alias gfc="$PWD/irun/bin/gfortran -static -Wall"
 gfc --version

to get help.

The gfortran manual is available online.

Please remember that, since gfortran is still in development state,
documentation is not our first priority (although we try to maintain it
up-to-date and enhance it).

If you have any question that is not answered in this manual or the
gfortran FAQ, or if you have ideas for enhancement of the gfortran
documentation, please send a mail to fortran@gcc.gnu.org

gfortran installer for MacOS X

An Apple-style installer for MacOS X users is available for download at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-macosx.dmg . It is
easy to install, and lets you have a taste of our great free compiler.

Please note: If you install gfortran for the first time, you will need to
install up-to-date cctools (download the package here:
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/macosx-dependencies/cctools-528.5.dmg).

Technical details

The gfortran package for MacOS X installs all files in the
/usr/local/gfortran directory, and a single symbolic link
(/usr/local/bin/gfortran). If you need to uninstall it (since Apple
packages does not support auto-uninstalling), you need to type the
followind command in a terminal, as administrator:

 sudo rm -r /usr/local/gfortran /usr/local/bin/gfortran

As every time you use administrator privileges, double check your command
and make no mistake!

Windows/Cygwin users can have a free fortran95 compiler!

An i686 gfortran-4.1.0 (C and C++ are included) package for Cygwin is
available at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-4.1.0-i686Cygwin-20050320.tar.bz2

The Athlon version (which also includes java) is:

http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-4.1.0-Athlon-Cygwin-20050324.tar.bz2

Installation instructions

Download the tarball in a suitable directory, such as /irun

NB. Windows Explorer has a nasty habit of changing the extension from
.tar.bz2 to .tar.tar Just rename the archive after downloading, if this
happens. All will be well if the extension is correct.

> tar -jxvf
> {your_download_path}/gfortran-4.1.0-i686Cygwin-20050320.tar.bz2

> /irun/bin/gfortran --version should confirm that you are up and
> running.

The manual can be read, using

> man -M /irun/man gfortran

I will build up this page again and the range of downloads available for
Cygwin.

Paul T

Downloading recent CVS source code

gfortran source code is available from the GCC CVS repository
(http://gcc.gnu.org/install). A daily tarball of the code is available
from http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gcc-cvs.tar.bz2 if you
prefer.