Re: [fortran, patch] Enable Hollerith constant and character array in format tag.

On Saturday 09 April 2005 19:17, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:32:03PM +0800, Feng Wang wrote:
> > --- Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree that it is important, but there really is more to do before
> > > the patch is OK.  At least two things come to mind (I hope I can't
> > > think up more for the next review ;-)
>
> Can either of you explain why this is an important extension?

It is an important extension because there is a surprising amount
of legacy code that uses Holleriths.  Even in the upcoming SPEC
suite, there will still be fortran benchmarks that use holleriths.

> That is, what are the semantics of using hollerith constants?

The problem is that they are rather vague.  For ASCII Holleriths,
they are just strings.  For numerical Holleriths, the exact bit
pattern of the Hollerith must be converted to the numerical value
of the target machine.
One word: pain.

Gr.
Steven