Re: My bugs

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 02:05:08PM -0800, Richard E Maine wrote:
> Seeing allusions to the upcoming release prompts me to send this...
> umm... reminder?  nag? what to call it? I hate to sound like I'm
> complaining about support in a volunteer project. I know better than
> that. So perhaps I can pretend that I'm just providing input about
> priorities and helping uncover forgotten items in bugzilla. That sounds
> much better. :-(

"grep 2005 gcc/fortran/ChangeLog" and "grep 2005 libgfortran/ChangeLog"
indicates that over 100 commits have been to cvs since 1 Jan 05.  Most
of these are to fix bugs.  I suppose you could say we've fixed the
wrong 100 bugs :-)

> Steve submitted several bug reports for me back in January. That would
> be bugs 19925-19929. I am also hit by 17928. Those are all failures on
> valid code, 5 of the 6 being internal compiler errors. Some of these
> crop up lots of places in my codes - too many to reasonably work
> around. I'm basically in a mode of waiting for these to get fixed
> before I can reasonably do any further testing. I see a few similar
> comments from others about 17928 and 17123 (which is marked as related
> to my 19928).

Unfortunately, the areas of the compiler, where these bugs appear,
are not well documented.  It takes quite a bit of time to determine
what the compiler is doing, what it should being doing, and then
figuring out how to fix it.

> I've been steering users to g95 if they want to run my code with a free
> compiler. G95 has been successfully running my codes since October.

Hopefully, these people have read the GPL and hopefully they have not
distributed a precompiled version of their software.  Andy's runtime
library is licensed under the GPL, which can cause a problem for
some people.  The gfortran runtime library is licensed under the
GPL+exception (i.e., if you link with gfortran, your code does not
acquire the GPL).

--
Steve