Gfortran packaging and installation

Francois's release yesterday of a Mingw version of gfortran set off a flurry of emails on this list and comp.lang.fortran, one to which I have contributed (constructively, I hope). I sympathise with Francois, who has copped some flak when he was just trying to be helpful, but I also sympathise to some extent with the complainers, who encountered obstacles they weren't anticipating when they were trying to test a new compiler.

May I make a suggestion: even though gfortran is alpha-quality regarding its ability to compile Fortran code, it is worth putting some effort right now into making installation as smooth as possible for non-expert users on a range of different platforms (Linux, of course, but also Windows and Mac OS-X). The reason is something I mentioned yesterday: there are Fortran experts who use these platforms and can contribute with high-quality bug reports, but who don't have the patience or inclination to grapple with arcane installation details.

I am willing (and possibly able) to help with this for Mingw and Cygwin Windows versions.

Me, I still can't use gfortran for anything much because it won't compile my code (in Linux, Cygwin and Mingw versions). I get internal compiler errors (segmentation faults) at random locations. I would submit a bug report, but right now I have no idea how to narrow the problem down to a simple case.

-- Mark Hadfield "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou" m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)