Re: can I help?

On Monday 20 December 2004 14:03, peter@peterheppel.com wrote:
> Dear Fortran,
>
> I've never worked on a compiler but I'd like to help if I can with the
> implementation of:

Sure. As far as documentation goes you've basically just got the comments in
the source. There's also the GCC internals manual for the language
independent bits of gcc.

Before submitting any changes you should read
http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html, and make sure you have met all the
requirements mentioned. Copyright assignments can sometimes take a couple of
weeks to process, so you should do this sooner rather than later.

If you have specific questions, please ask on this list. Patches should be
submitted here, and CC gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org.

> 1) Allocatable arrays as structure components, dummy arguments, and
> function results [TR ISO/IEC 15581: 1998(E)]

I believe this is also part of F2003. You'll want to double check for
differences.

> 2) Interoperability with the C programming language

F2003 contains specifications for this. You proably want to talk to Lars
Segerlund <Lars.Segerlund@comsys.se>. I believe he's done some work in this
area.

Note that we are currently in Stage3 for gcc4.0. New features like these will
have to wait until mainline reopens for gcc4.1.

Paul