Re: Performance testing

Ole W. Saastad wrote:
Over time I have seen the gnuforan change from a state
where none of my test would compile and run to a state
today where it is an alternative to Portland and Intel
compilers.

I'm glad to hear it!

However, the performance is not optimal. A simple test
of a molecular dynamics code (MPI code) showed numbers
like 20.06s and 20.72s for gfortran while 13.8s for Intel
ifc 7.1. It must be said that Intel fortran 8.0 and 8.1
failed to run, segv after a few seconds run time.

Your experience has been much like mine. In general, code generation is sub-optimal at best; gfortran (actually, GCC in general) lacks good vectorization support, thought it is being worked on.

My biggest problem has been broken code generation, especially on x86_64 (Opteron) and when using SSE2. I'm not a code generation guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm digging into some of the more egregious problems as time permits.

Which version of MPI have you used with gfortran? I've found MPICH to be most uncooperative.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd
site: http://www.coyotegulch.com