g77 intrinsics

I see on the gfortran.org wiki page mention of a good beginners project
would be to implement some g77 non-standard intrinsics.  Is this need
still valid and where can one begin to study to learn the structure of a
g77 intrinsic and what is the list of items needing to be done?

I am interested in learning and doing, but I am pretty green.  I have
been doing some testing and am getting the feel for building gfortran
and running it.

But, one must start somewhere and do something or get nowhere, no?

If I can't handle it then i will certainly let folks know.  I would like
to at least look at an example and if I think I can do it I will get the
FSF paperwork signed.

Jerry