Re: [gfortran] Change libgfortran license to GPL+exception

Toon Moene wrote:
> I don't know why GPL+exception would be preferred - I thought that was
> only necessary for C++ libraries, where you include real code from the
> libraries in the form of template definitions.
>
> I think we can confine ourselves to the LGPL.

This would prevent users from statically linking their programs. I have no
opinion on whether that would be a good thing from the GNU standpoint, I don't
think it would be from a user perspective.

Apart from that I'd like to have someone's final word on what the license
should be, I have been trying for more than three weeks (thread started Aug
31st) to get some final word on these issues and in the meantime several
changes have found their way into the library, meaning that the previous patch
can't be applied trivially any longer. I certainly won't prepare a new patch
which changes everything to LGPL, unless I know that it will be accepted.

Thanks,
- Tobi