Importing GMP (was Re: [v3] Return of the son of fp printing.)

[moving mailing lists]

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 08:29:54PM -0400, Jerry Quinn wrote:
> Joseph S. Myers writes:
>  >
>  > GMP is LGPL, libstdc++ is GPL+exception, so would this raise any licensing
>  > issues for libstdc++?
>
> I'll leave the licensing questions for others, but this is why I originally
> shied away from pulling in glibc's printf code to do this stuff.

Since GMP is not written in C++, the problems with replacing inline
functions and template code don't arise.  I don't think this is a problem.
Somebody will eventually have to run it past the SC or the lawyers at the
FSF, but we should figure out what we would want to do with it first.

On that note:

>  > Would this be including just a few bits of GMP built for the target (in
>  > addition to building it for the host as required for gfortran unless the
>  > system has a recent enough version) in libstdc++, as a few bits are
>  > included in glibc, rather than linking all C++ programs against libgmp as
>  > well as libstdc++?
>
> We would need basic GMP arithmetic and conversions to and from floating point
> types.  Since this code would be used for floating point printing, that
> probably means many C++ programs linking it in.

Is it installed as a shared library on the host?  Would we be including
bits of it in libstdc++.* directly on systems which need them, like we
used to do with libio?  Would we be better served by putting them in libgcc?

--
...the road to good intentions must always be paved with hell.
    - Igor Stravinsky