Re: 64 bit fortran unformatted on Opteron -- incompatible with32unformatted

Bud Davis <bdavis@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

> Toon Moene wrote:
>
>> Now an interesting question is how we are going to treat this with
>> gfortran: On the one hand we can do it right (use one record length
>> size on 32-bit and 64-bit systems), but then people on 64-bit systems
>> can't read their g77 generated unformatted files - or we could do the
>> same as libf2c and be stuck with the above problem.
>>
>> On the third hand, I have received requests for 64-bit record lengths
>> on either system so that larger-than-2-Gbyte records are possible.
>>

> as of right now, the gfortran approach is like this:
>
> each sequential, unformatted record is prefixed with a byte count, of
> type off_t.  off_t is a 64 bit number on FreeBSD and is a 32 bit number
> on Linux (without using the LFS routines).

This is wrong!  On all 64-bit Linux platforms, off_t is a 64-bit
number.  x86 is not the whole world.

Let's go for off64_t and break the format...
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SUSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany